Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lemon Curd Tart with Raspberries and Fresh Picked Huckleberry Sauce



 {The Last Few Days of Summer}


I’m sitting on a plane right now on my way to San Jose for work.  I actually really enjoy flying, and this is a great time for me to catch up on some blog posts.  I think this is actually the first time I’ve had a chance to really be relaxed while writing a post (usually work is calling my name or I’m about to fall asleep in my bed).  

 {One man's trash can make a beautiful picture}

Last weekend Blake and I spent Saturday with his family.  We all drove up to Snoqualmie Pass (pronounced snow-qwall-me for those of you not from Washington State) to go huckleberry picking together.  The drive up to the mountains was beautiful – the trees were just starting to change colors for Fall.  We took a turn off of the highway and then followed a dirt road for about 3 miles up to the top of the mountain.   We got out (I put my rain boots on), let the Yorkies out of the car and set out to find some huckleberries.
Well, unfortunately for us we were about 2 ½ to 3 weeks too late for the berries.  The season had JUST ended.  L  There were 5 of us hunting and we ended up with only a cup and a half of huckleberries!!!  We finally threw in the towel and decided to have some lunch.


{Our "hidden" lake}

Blake’s dad suggested we go to a nearby lake for lunch which was absolutely gorgeous.  The camping area had already closed down for the season so we had to walk a little ways to get to the lake.  We sat down and had some baguette sandwiches and truffle deviled eggs and let the dogs run free and swim in the lake.  If you’ve never seen a wet Yorkie it’s pretty hilarious – they end up looking like little rat dogs.  
Somehow I was the lucky one who ended up with our cup and a half of huckleberries (which I wasn’t expecting since Blake’s sister and dad both love to cook).  It wasn’t too hard to figure out what I wanted to make.  I remembered seeing an image of a lemon curd tart with a berry swirl on top and I knew I was going to do the same.


Our day up in the mountains and at the lake was one of the most relaxing days I’ve had in a long time.  It was so nice to get out of the city and up into the fresh air while it was still warm out, and also be able to enjoy the beautiful Pacific Northwest.   I can’t wait for huckleberry season to come again next year, but this time I’ll make sure to put it on everyone’s calendars for the end of August not September.


{RECIPE} Lemon Curd Tart with Huckleberry Sauce
Yield: 6”in pie (3-4 people)
Ingredients:
   * 1 tblsp fresh lemon zest
   * 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
   * 1 1/3 cup sugar
   * 4 large eggs
   * 3/4 cup plus 2 tblsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” pieces 
   *1/3 cup sugar
   * 1/3 cup water
   * 3/4 cup huckleberries
   * 1 tblsp corn starch
   

Lemon Curd
1.)  In a medium size sauce pan over medium-low heat, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and eggs. 

2.) Once sugar has dissolved, reduce heat to low and add the butter.  Whisk continuously until all butter has dissolved (10-15 minutes).  Curd will become thick while you’re whisking and you will know it is done once you can see traces of your whisk in the curd.

3.) Remove curd from heat and pour through a fine sieve into a bowl.  Curd can be used immediately or covered and stored in the fridge for about a week.


Huckleberry Sauce

1.) In a shallow pan, add water and sugar over medium heat.  Stir mixture until sugar has dissolved (thus creating a simple syrup). 

2.) Add huckleberries to the simple syrup, stirring occasionally.  Once berries start to burst, use a potato masher to mash the rest of the berries to get all of the juice out..

3.) Once the berries have been mashed, pour sauce through a fine sieve (to get rid of the skin and seeds).  Mix corn starch with 1/4 tblsp warm water and mix until corn starch is dissolved.  Add sauce back into sauce pan along with the corn starch to thicken.  Stir until sauce is combined and thick enough to spread (about 5 minutes). 

4.)  Pour sauce slowly over lemon curd.  Using a butter knife, swirl sauce.

Huckleberry sauce can also be stored for up to 3 days.



Lemon Curd Tart With Raspberries and Fresh Picked Huckleberry Sa on Foodista

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha You got the Huckleberries : ) I love it, and this looks delish!!! Love you, Steph! ~Kenzi