Monday, September 13, 2010

Quick Monday Night Dinner

I've been out of town for the past week, so I haven't had a chance to cook or post anything new.  Fortunately, it was for a GREAT reason.  MY SISTER WAS GETTING MARRIED (and I had to be out of town for work for a few days as well).  The wedding was a beautiful laid back setting on the beach, followed by an afternoon at the theme park with extreme roller coasters, and finished off with a nice dinner and of course, a wedding cake (pictures to follow).  I will be sure to post more on this event (I need to make sure I do the pictures justice), but for now - a quick Monday night dinner.

I got home late tonight, and still have a bunch of work to complete, so when I headed to the store I knew I had to make something that was going to be quick and easy, and of course taste great.  I decided on a little Mexican spice and a salad.  I ended up making a cayenne-spiced chicken breast topped with queso fresco, avocado {one of my favorite things} and lime.


 {The Dish}

I'm a pretty big wuss when it comes to hot and/or spicy food, yet I love them both (an oxymoron perhaps?).  This is why I topped the chicken with some avocado - it was a cool, subtle flavor that smoothed out the overall dish.


To go with the chicken, I made a white bean salad tossed with grape tomatoes, red onion, scallions, and lemon.  Of course I needed something sweet to go with my dinner as well, so I sliced up a fresh nectarine (I'm bummed they are almost out of season).  :(

{White Bean Salad}


The meal turned out great, and it only took me 50 minutes to prepare, take photos, eat, and clean up!  You really can't beat that when you don't have much time to spare. :)

{Recipe} Cayenne Spiced Chicken Breast
Ingredients:
   * 2 chicken breasts
   * 1 tblsp Cayenne Pepper (although you may not want to use all of this)
   * 1/4 cup Olive Oil
   * Salt and Pepper to taste
   * 1 medium size Avocado
   * 1 Lime

1.) Butterfly both chicken breasts.  Lightly sprinkle salt, pepper and cayenne pepper over both sides of the chicken breasts.  With the cayenne pepper, be VERY CAREFUL to just lightly brush over the chicken.  Unless you REALLY like your food hot, you don't want to over-do this.

2.) Layer the bottom of a frying pan with the olive oil and also squeeze the juice from the lime into the pan.  Place each chicken breast in the pan and bring to medium-high heat.

3.) Cook the chicken for 7-8 minutes on each side so that the chicken cooks through, but also remains moist.

4.) While chicken is cooking, dice the avocado and crumble the queso fresco. 

5.) Remove chicken from heat, add avocado and queso fresco.  ENJOY!!!


{Recipe} White Bean Salad
Ingredients:
   * 1 can of White Beans
   * 1 bunch Scallions
   * 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
   * 1 lemon
   * 1/4 cup Olive Oil

1.) Drain excess water from beans and rinse thoroughly under cold water.  Allow beans to dry (2-3 minutes).

2.) Cut cherry tomatoes in half and dice scallions

3.) In a small-medium sized bowl, combine white beans, cherry tomatoes, scallions, and olive oil.  Lastly, squeeze lemon over the top of ingredients.

4.) Lightly toss or stir ingredients to blend together and . . . ENJOY!!!

No comments: